Our expert legal team can support you to recover debts and defend debt recovery claims.
Whether you are the claimant or defendant, we work hard to understand your commercial needs and tailor our services to meet your objectives.
We recommend that you instruct us to recover debts or defend claims on your behalf, only if the value is proportionate to the amount of costs you will inevitably incur. To help you determine how best to proceed, we have presented our estimated costs ranges for debt recovery below. We offer a fixed fee service, based on the value of the claim.
The information below is based on the example of a business to business debt:
The below costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed. Please be aware that the exact fees for your matter will depend on the value and complexity of your case.
|Debt Value||Court Fee||Our Fees (excluding VAT)|
|Under £10,000||Ranges from £25 to £455
(depends on how claim form is issued)
|fees range from £500 to £2000|
|£10,000 to £100,000||4.5% (online) or 5% (paper) of claim amount||fees range from £2000 to £10,000|
£100,000.01 to £200,000
|5% of claim amount||fees range from £10,000 to £50,000|
|More than £200,000||£10,000||£20,000 upwards|
** The fees shown above are only an approximate estimate and could change depending on the circumstance and complexity of the case.
** The above fees do not factor in Counsel’s fees and other hearing costs which can arise spontaneously at any time once proceedings have been issued.
** The Court fee varies depending on whether we file the claim form online or on paper.
If you wish to proceed with a claim please note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from the debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action is needed, such as high court enforcement.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation.
- Undertaking appropriate searches on the relevant parties(s).
- Sending and replying to pre-action correspondence.
- Receiving the debt and transferring this to you. If the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing a claim form/particulars of claim with your further instructions.
- Where no Acknowledgement of Service or Defence is received within in requisite time frame, applying to the court to enter a Judgement in default and potentially proceeding to enforcement.
- If payment is not received within the period specified in the Judgement, providing you with advice on next steps and the likely costs.
How long will it take?
Matters can take from two weeks to two years from receipt of instructions from you to reach settlement, again this depends on the complexity of the case, whether a claim is contested and whether it is necessary to issue proceedings. If enforcement action is needed once Judgement has been entered this can make the claim go for longer. Please note although we may be successful in obtaining a Judgement against a Defendant this does not guarantee that you will recover the debt.
We can give you a more accurate timescale once we have details about your specific case and as the matter progresses.
Again, the exact costs and timescales will depend on the specific nature and complexity of your case. Our goal is to give you the information you need to make an informed choice about how to best proceed and whether instructing us will be proportionate to the value of your claim. Please note that claims with a monetary value of £10,000 or less are not usually cost effective to pursue, but we will discuss this with you when you enquire.
Please contact us to discuss your case further with our expert legal team. We can then give you an accurate fee quote and discuss possible next steps with you.